Yes, you can. The roads are usually pretty good. It is, however, quite a long drive – about 4.5 hours, so if you are going to drive, leave Johannesburg no later than 10am.
The summer months – October to March are hot and humid, the hottest months being December / January when temperatures are usually over 40° C (104° F). rain is usually in the form of thunder showers which can occur at any time of day, but usually pass over fairly quickly, then the sun comes out again.
Winter mornings and evenings are decidedly chilly, especially in the early mornings on the open safari vehicle. The day warms up quickly though to about 25° C (77° F), so about 9am you can remove some of your warm clothing. So if you are visiting between April – September, bring warm clothes for those chilly mornings.
The nearest airport is the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA) at Nelspruit – the provincial capital, which is about an hours drive from the lodge.
– For your convenience, please book your flight to Nelspruit (KMIA) for as early as possible on your arrival day. This allows you to maximise your time with us.
– Likewise, book your departure flight for the afternoon, to accommodate an activity on your last day and allow travel time to the airport.
– Rental vehicles can be arranged from the airport (do this in advance), or you can arrange for us to collect you at the airport and transfer you to the lodge (enquire for fees on this here).
Kruger National Park is home to the big 5 (rhino, elephant, leopard, lion and buffalo), as well as many other species such as giraffe, zebra, hippo, crocodile, warthog, cheetah, hyena, 500 + bird species. Our guides do their best to find as many animals as possible during your stay, but the Kruger is very large, so there is no guarantee you will be able to see all the big 5 species during your visit.
The lodge is also in a nature conservancy, with wildlife roaming freely around the lodge, so you even stand a chance to see some wildlife while enjoying sundowners around the pool!
No, your normal travel insurance should be sufficient.
Yes, certain activities require the signing of a waiver / indemnity to confirm that we have explained any possible dangers and you agree to participate in the activity. This is a requirement of most of our National Parks that have the Big 5.
Full payment is due 30 days prior to your arrival date.
Yes. A deposit secures your booking and gives us the assurance that you are serious about joining us on safari.
We usually do not take children under 10 years old due to the malaria health risk, and age restrictions on open safari vehicles.
Note: For safety reasons, children under 16 years are not allowed to participate in bush walks in Kruger Park.
Depending on the type of accommodation / package you book, we can accommodate from 6 to a maximum of 12 people sharing. Our safari vehicles can only seat 10 people, but should your party be more than that, the party will be split over two vehicles.
Note: on photo safaris, we do not take more than the maximum of 6 people to cater for ease of shooting on board the vehicle, and to accommodate the additional equipment.
Kruger National Park is within a malaria area, but is safe to visit if precautions are taken. Consult with your doctor on the right measures for you in this regard.
It is usually not wise for small children who are not able to take prophylactics to enter malaria areas – once again consult your doctor on this.
Some additional precautions you can take are:
– wear light coloured long sleeve tops and long trousers after dark
– use mosquito repellent
– Sunglasses (all year round)
– Sunscreen (all year round)
– Camera – there are many good photo opportunities
– For Winter – warm clothes – beanie, gloves, windbreaker, hoodie, hat / cap, etc
– For summer – loose fitting light, cool clothes, windbreaker, hat / cap
– Closed shoes for evenings around the fire / bush walks
– Mosquito repellent
– Consult your doctor regarding malaria prior to leaving your home town
– A smile
We run special offers from time to time. If you want to be notified of special offers, contact us and ask to be put on our email mailing list.